RSS

12 May 2009

Walking the walk

Courtesy John A. at Americablog:
 
An American service member, about to be discharged for being gay, penned an open letter to his commander-in-chief on CNN's Web site. Here is an excerpt:
 
 "As an infantry officer, I am not accustomed to begging. But I beg you today: Do not fire me. Do not fire me because my soldiers are more than a unit or a fighting force – we are a family and we support each other. We should not learn that honesty and courage leads to punishment and insult. Their professionalism should not be rewarded with losing their leader. I understand if you must fire me, but please do not discredit and insult my soldiers for their professionalism.
 
When I was commissioned I was told that I serve at the pleasure of the President. I hope I have not displeased anyone by my honesty. I love my job. I want to deploy and continue to serve with the unit I respect and admire. I want to continue to serve our country because of everything it stands for.
 
Please do not wait to repeal Don't Ask, Don't Tell. Please do not fire me."
 
I cannot imagine a starker contrast than that which exists between Lt. Choi and the chickenhawk Keyboard Kommandoes who not only continually offer their full-throated support for putting (other) people in harm's way, but view him as a second-class citizen--if not an outright subhuman--his commitment and sacrifice be damned.

They should be ashamed of themselves and, given their truly bizarre need to attack others while declaring their patriotic--not to mention, heterosexual--bonafides so loudly, I imagine that, deep down, they are...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...