RSS

13 May 2008

From tone deaf...

Fair warning: set all sharp and/or heavy objects outside of arms' reach before continuing. Fail to heed this warning and the ErrPort will NOT be held responsible for any desktop, laptop, or wireless device damage that may ensue:
Q: Mr. President, you haven't been golfing in recent years. Is that related to Iraq?

THE PRESIDENT: Yes, it really is. I don't want some mom whose son may have recently died to see the Commander-in-Chief playing golf. I feel I owe it to the families to be as -- to be in solidarity as best as I can with them. And I think playing golf during a war just sends the wrong signal.

Q: Mr. President, was there a particular moment or incident that brought you to that decision, or how did you come to that?

THE PRESIDENT: No, I remember when de Mello, who was at the U.N., got killed in Baghdad as a result of these murderers taking this good man's life. And I was playing golf -- I think I was in central Texas -- and they pulled me off the golf course and I said, it's just not worth it anymore to do.
Heavy, indeed, is the head that wears the crown.

You cannot make this shit up. You just can't.

For El Presidente, the best show of solidarity with a family with a dead son...is not to hit the links.

If we weren't before, we are now find ourselves wandering around far beyond the realm of satire. There is simply no possible way to clear the bar for absurdity set by the comments above. What's more, after two weeks of listening to well-heeled pundits make nauseatingly self-righteous pronouncements about who, and what, is "out of touch" with the American people, we finally see the real thing. Bubble Boy, here, is being sincere; he actually believes what he's saying.

You can't get more isolated from the average person than to think that that grand gesture of "solidarity" is going to be met with anything other than the ridicule and derision it so richly deserves.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...